Monday, September 7, 2009

Patiently waiting..

So I am still waiting for internet at my house, I feel as if I have been so disconnected from the world for the past month. I have access to internet here at school..but not being able to get online any time I want at home is rough..and not to mention my crappy phone I have here..no internet access there either. No one ever told me life would be this hard :)

Here is an interesting tidbit, the past few weeks we have been learning about all types of indigenous people in Meso-America and South America and the Aztecs really had no form of currency but ´´small purchases were made with cacao beans. A man could also sell his own daughter as a sexual slave or future religious sacrifice, generally for around 500 to 700 beans.´´ How many beans are you worth??

And here is funny link about the english language-
http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/2959-english-and-how-she-is-spoken

I feel like it is going to be a great week..and to start it off, Cardinals are atop the cubs by 12 games! Woooot! Well, the weekend was pretty exciting, Friday night I went to a kind of barbeque but mexican style...because it was carne asada, chortizo, and tortillas..MMM RICO! Saturday, a friend and I went to the house of people in Queretaro, who are like, the ultimate fans of the local soccer team, Gallos Blancos. Their entire house is painted in the colors of the gallos (blue, black, white). And the people who live there go to every game with their upper bodies and entire heads painted. Then we went to the soccer game. We lost 3-2 to Monterrey! Then headed with a bunch of girls from school to their families house to watch Mexico completely destroy Costa Rica 3-0. They made us wear red, white, and green face paint during the game..and they got really loud when Mexico scored against Costa Rica..so I can only imagine what was going on when they were watching the game between US and Mexico last month. The USA is now in a 2 way tie for first place in CONCACAF for world cup qualifying. I'm sure everyone is just as excited about that as I am..hah.

Yesterday...nobody would have believed this. I went to the store, bought a mop and bucket and other cleaning supplies and totally transformed our house. Did the dishes (we have no dishwasher, thats right..by hand baby) swept, mopped, cleaned the bathroom, cleaned my room, ironed all my clothes..and still made time for homework. This was definitely an all day process. I have to mention all this because I know my mom is reading :) Loveeee you mommy.

Oh yeah, as far as activities go..I was in a salsa class at the beginning of the semester but as of now have stopped going because there are soo many people in that class, not to mention much more girls than guys, so you get less dancing time and less attention from the instructor and I have learned that salsa, and all dancing in general, I will probably need a private instructor because I'm super white.

I am going to go ahead and start taking ideas for what I should make my roomies for Thanksgiving, especially since they don't celebrate it, I want to make it special. And..I'm pretty sure they don't sell grits here at the stores, even at wal-mart, I know, it is pretty unfortunate. I will check again though. So any recipes that you think I should make for them..let me know. And I will be back in the states December 15th so get the grit pan ready..

I have a test at 1 so I will write again soon!

Besos!!

No comments:

Post a Comment